Most people treat airports as a necessary evil: places that facilitate international travel but that are of little interest in and of themselves. However, if you do a little research before arriving at Gatwick Airport you will find that it is a great place to spend a couple of days before heading home or on to your holiday destination.
In addition to the many excellent hotels that can be found in the area, there are numerous first-class restaurants too. Some of these are actually in the aforementioned hotels whereas others are independent eateries that attract diners from far and wide. If you are looking for somewhere to enjoy a tasty meal and a drink or two, take a look at the list below. In it, you will find what we think are the top ten places to eat while you are here.andy.
Book Competitive Car Hire at Gatwick and Enjoy the Local Restaurants
If you want to make the most of your time in the area, it is worth renting a vehicle during your stay, so you can visit as many of the local eateries as possible.
1. Jamie’s Italian, North Terminal – Our first choice is a restaurant for which transport will not be an issue. Located in the North Terminal, Jamie’s Italian features a menu designed by Jamie Oliver himself. The menu includes a variety of delicious fresh pasta dishes made with great care and seasonal ingredients. For early diners, there is a separate breakfast menu available.
2. Lemongrass, Crawley – If you like Thai food, you’re sure to love the Lemongrass in Crawley. Using authentic ingredients to cook delicious curries and stir fries, the kitchen team at this popular local eatery are justly proud of their menu. If you are renting a car, it is just a 15-minute drive from the airport via the M23.
3. La Brasserie at the Sofitel Gatwick – If you are staying at the Sofitel, there’s no need to venture outside your hotel for a decent meal. La Brasserie serves a wide selection of British and European dishes in elegant surroundings and is a favourite among travellers from all over the world. Even if you’re not staying at the hotel, it is worth driving there to see what all the fuss is about.
4. The Flying Horse, South Terminal – After passing through security at the South Terminal, you can enjoy a hearty breakfast at the Flying Horse before continuing on your journey. Whether you fancy a full English breakfast or just a bacon sandwich, this family-friendly pub is the place to go. Contrary to what you might think, the prices here are very competitive too.
5. Wabi, Horsham – For travellers who adore sushi and don’t mind a 30-minute drive, Wabi is one for the short list. Here, you can enjoy award-winning Japanese cuisine, freshly prepared by master sushi chefs, after a refreshing drink in the cocktail lounge. The striking oriental décor and authentic menu make this place a must-visit for lovers of Japanese culture and cuisine.
6. Garfunkel’s, North Terminal – Back at the airport, we have Garfunkel’s, the perfect location for a relaxing family meal after dropping off your hire car and checking your luggage for your trip home. With a menu featuring British favourites such as cottage pie, sausage & mash and fish ‘n’ chips, alongside international dishes including pizza and sticky ribs, there really is something for everyone at this famous eatery.
7. Fatboys Joint, Crawley – Another entry from nearby Crawley, Fatboys serves delicious Afghan cuisine and is a big hit with both locals and visitors alike. With a simple but enticing menu, it is a great place to eat for those who are feeling adventurous but do not want to be overwhelmed by choice. Welcoming staff, well-cooked food and pleasant surroundings: definitely one to try during your stay in the area.
8. JaiHo at the Coppingham Arms, Horley – Half a mile on foot or a couple of miles by car, this establishment is conveniently located for both those who are planning to stay close to the airport and those who wish to take advantage of the deals for car hire in Gatwick that can be found online. Wonderful Indian fusion food served by friendly staff in a welcoming atmosphere has helped to make this restaurant one of the most popular in the area.
9. Il Sorriso, Horley – A lively atmosphere and fantastic Italian cuisine are the main attractions at Il Sorriso. If you fancy a meal at this restaurant during your stay in Gatwick, we recommend booking well in advance as it might be difficult to get a table at short notice. If you are hiring a car, it’s under 10 minutes from the airport and has ample onsite parking.
10. Thyme, Premier Inn, North Terminal – Great food, good service and value for money is the consensus among visitors to the Premier Inn’s in-house restaurant at Gatwick’s North Terminal. If you are staying in the hotel itself, it’s a no brainer; if you are staying elsewhere or just on your way through, it is still worth popping in to enjoy a reasonably-priced meal in comfortable surroundings.
Whether you decide to rent a car during your stay or rely on local transport and your own two feet, we hope the above list has given you food for thought as far as your dining options are concerned. Visitors to Gatwick never have to worry about a lack of good food and with your own transport, you can explore the many excellent eateries to be found further afield too.
Before you arrive in town, take a look at the deals we have for car hire at Gatwick airport right now. We strive to offer our customers the best choice at the lowest prices so you are sure to find something that is just perfect for you. Bookings can be made online at any time of day or night and if you have any questions about our service you can call us on 0800 012 6771.